The Art of story telling


Stephanie Sandows (26) is a presenter and actress on one of South Africa's best soapies, Scandal! in which she acts as Ingrid. She grew up in Eldorado Park, South of Johannesburg, with an older brother and attended Discovery Primary School in Florida then Northcliff High. She says she had a lovely childhood, very community based, where they didn't have loads of money but there was love in abundance.

She was only doing a practical for her post graduate course at the University Of Johannesburg (UJ), where she worked with the Scandal! production team, assisting to do subtitles. She was then asked to be an extra, then before she knew it, there were more cameo roles. 

She is a humble soul, beautiful, intelligent and she gives so much love to the world.





 ðŸ”¥ How did your love for acting come about

Umm.. I didn't know I had a 'love for acting' until I probably got my first lead role. It wasn't really in my plan to act I wanted to be a social linguist but life had other plans for me.

🔥 How was your first presenting gig and how did you feel after it

It was on Bonisanani, a kids game show on the different faiths and religions. I guess it was close to public speaking and debating (which I loved doing in High School) so I thoroughly enjoyed myself. 


🔥 How did your world change after the first time you were on TV

Not much, to be honest. 
I was still in school and I didn't 'shoot' to fame and stardom after doing Bonisanani. My world was still about studies, family. I think many people have a really glamorized view of TV and being on TV, like after your first role or gig, you'll be a millionaire and everyone will know your name but it doesn't work like that. (Except not the millionaire part lol!)

🔥 It took 3 years of auditions until you got the Tsolo role on Shuga, which is your first leading role...why is this role so important to you that you had to keep trying for it

You know, I have always been very competitive person and so when I first became an 'extra' on TV as my first acting  'role' I honestly didn't think anything would come of it. But, as my confidence and love for acting grew, I wanted to challenge myself beyond what I 'thought' I could and could not do. So perseverance was key and giving up was not an option.

🔥You and Hungani are one of the most amazing couples I know...how did you guys meet and how has your relationship been since you are both public figures

We met when he auditioned for Scandal!. We have such a 'normal' relationship...lol. I think because both our faiths are so strongly rooted in Christ and so remaining truthful to ourselves and each other, goes a long way. Hungani is also super humble and more about the craft and business than anything else. So...we are a pretty normal boring couple heheh (jokes, we're not boring) 

🔥You are doing your masters in applied linguistics, focusing on social linguistics...can you tell me more about what applied linguistics entails

I started my masters but have since decided to focus more on the season I'm currently in (growing and learning in the acting field) so my masters is on ice right now. Applied linguistics however, is the study of the science behind language, people and culture. Like social norms and stereotypes attached to language and accents. We have such a rich culture in SA that it's really interesting to see how this shapes our attitudes and believes.

🔥 How far do you want to take your acting career

All the way (in whatever form that may come).

🔥 What more can we expect from you in the future

I believe my purpose is to move people into place and space of believing whatever you're called to do, what God has already qualified you for. So I guess the future for me (I hope) will be motivating people through telling my story and other stories while serving in anyway I can. Acting is essentially the art of telling stories, truthfully. 


🔥 What message would you give to young people out there who want to be in the entertainment industry

You need to believe you're good enough without needing validation from anyone else. This industry is cut-throat and you need to be your own biggest fan. You also need to never stop working on getting better and learning ways to equip yourself with skills and techniques which will assist you in your craft.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This is the Spova king

Greatness comes from within