Passion over everything


Majaha Nkonyane is a SWAMA award wining poet who is passionate about poetry because this is how he speaks and sends messages to different people in all walks of life. He was born and raised in Mbabane. He attended school at Zombodze Primary School, Mangwaneni Primary School then at St Marks High School. He is from a family of five, him being the middle child and he never hesitates to mention that he is a proud Christian. 

When I talked to Majaha about poetry and how it came about, he mentioned that poetry is more of a calling in his life, and it is one of the things he can never run away from. "I remember a play we did back at preschool graduation, where I was playing God in the garden of Eden. The one part I always remember is when I asked Adam and Eve why they were hiding and who told them they were naked. I was so into that part and it felt more real than being just a play. "

He says that over the years, it began with taking interest in reading and memorizing speeches for public speaking, and he was sure he was going to be a public speaker but it all pointed towards poetry, in which he would look up words that captured his attention and would develop them into a poem.


 Majaha fell in love with poetry from a tender age. Growing up, it was that one thing that kept him happy and interested in life, people and different environments that he was exposed to. "Because of poetry, I have been able to make friends, make sense of environments, appreciate them more and find out more about certain things in life, generally. "

 When I asked him about how his journey has been like in the entertainment industry, he mentioned that the journey of an artist is always a lot. He says it has been a bitter sweet journey. He continues to talk the exploitation of artists in the country, which is killing the industry, adding that there are also other aspects that kill the spirit of excitement of an artist while executing their craft, in which he makes an example of being on the line up in a show with an international artist, locally, but end up not being treated as just and with much respect as the other artist.



His face lights up when I ask him about his SWAMA award for best poet 2018 as he mentions that it was one of the best moments of his life. He says that he remembers the night like it was yesterday. "I was too excited such that when the award announcer said my name, I was already halfway down the stairs before he could even finish my surname. I was overjoyed. I still smile, thinking about that night. It was epic and I am truly grateful to have been crowned in my category which was a very tough one by the way."

He says that there are many moments where he looks back with pride and joy in his heart but so far, the highlight of his career was standing in front of His Majesty King Mswati III during the 50/50 celebration at the garden party, last year.

And when I asked Majaha what gets him out of bed every morning, he said, "Other than the need to go hustle for more money is getting to grow as a poet and eventually have my poetry on international stages. He adds that his poetry is inspired by different things and at the base of it all is the Holy Spirit. On top of that, there are these different environments I am exposed to, which inspires my creativity. Different people also inspire my creativity."






Majaha will be hosting a Blanket Your Words poetry show on the 8th of June, at the Mbabane Theatre Club, which is aimed at getting donations of blankets or clothes, which will be given to the less fortunate and the elderly.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Art of story telling

This is the Spova king

Greatness comes from within